Sunday, 16 March 2014

Week9

    This week, I want to share something that I learnt from working on Exercise3.

    For me, Exercise3 is pretty hard, compared to other exercises. Nevertheless, I successfully solved the problem. Even though my codes work perfectly fine, I'm not satisfied with those messy and ugly codes. There are too many helper functions and messy conditions all over the place. However, I can't quite think of any other way to solve the problem. Luckily, one of my friends was so kind that she shares her solution with me. I was totally stunned by the elegancy of her codes and the thinking behind her solution. I'm not going to hide the fact that she is not even in CompSci. She is from Rotman Commerce. After reading her codes, I questioned myself. Why? Why can't I think of that solution? Why even a Rotman student better than I, a prospective CompSci Specialist? I noticed a serious problem with my programming style. That is, I am not patient, and I always jump right into coding after reading the problems. So then, I sit back into my chair and rethink about this problem. I tried to be as patient as possible. Forcing myself to turn off the screen before I figured out a clear strategy to solve the problem. This is hard, I have to say. But, indeed, it pays out. A cool mind really helps me to program more efficiently and gives me a much cleaner code. 

    My friend, I've learnt a precious lesson from you, thank you very much! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment